Monday, June 23, 2014

The Hazards of Packing

Ragbrai is now 26 days away (I got tired of typing Ragbrai in all caps). I have a small pile of things on my garage floor. I also have a checklist with a whole bunch of unchecked boxes. The hazard I have run into is that it is hard to pack everything that I will need until I get close to the event. I still need my cycling clothes, for instance. It feels like I am not ready, though I think I am closer than I realize.

Today I got up and looked outside. The ground was wet, but it was not raining. The air still felt like it could rain at any moment. I decided to break out my rain gear and go for it, figuring that it would be good to know how to deal with the rain in case that happens on Ragbrai. I remember the weather varied from a pretty powerful thunderstorm to intensely hot and dry when I did this before.

So, just as your car never makes that irritating sound as soon as you pull into the mechanic's lot, after donning all of my gear, it barely sprinkled on me. I was more soaked from perspiring under the non-breathing material than from precipitation.

I feel the excitement building for the trip. We did a 50+ mile outing last Saturday, and it felt good. I need to pull off a few more long trips, even up into the 60 and 70 mile range. But overall, I am pleased with my progress.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The benefit of rain is that you can blame that instead of admitting to sweating profusely!