Monday, July 7, 2014

Ready

I hope to write in this blog every day when I begin RAGBRAI, incidentally being less than 2 weeks away.

Today I feel good enough to report that I am ready for the ride. I went out with 3 other riders Saturday. We rode 67 miles.Yes, I was tired when we finished, but the soreness in my knees was more from the softball game three days before than the riding. Probably the best indicator of readiness for me is the next morning I felt like I could easily get back on the bike and go another 50, 60 or 70.

I've been frustrated with myself on the weekend rides. I have been having a hard time keeping up with the other guys. Then I realized they are averaging 16 to 17 mph over 60+ miles! There will be no need for me to do that on Ragbrai. I have always been more of a endurance athlete than anything shorter. We did our 67 mile ride in 4 hours. If I were to do that on Ragbrai, leaving at 6am, we'd be finished for the day at 10am! Ridiculous. I feel better now.

No comments: