Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Faith and Spokes

If I count today, there are three days until we leave for the west coast of Iowa. With a wince on my face, I state that I am all ready to go. (???) At least I hope I'm all ready to go.

A friend we sometimes ride with had offered some energy bars, called RxBars, to us for our ride. That will be really nice to have along as a snack as we go. He had them donated to him from a charity ride he did recently. Justin and some others rode from Boston to Lake Michigan to raise funds for Wheels for Water, an organization that provides clean water for communities in Uganda. 

So that is one nice thing to have along. I have also sealed the seams of my new tent and made sure my cot fits inside. My bag is now quite distinctive with my CRAIGO logo spray painted on both sides and neon orange duct tape on the ends.

But one worry that I is related to the spokes in my rear wheel. And though it may seem silly, and if you are a person who prays to God, I would appreciate it if you would pray for my spokes. Just this year (2014), I have had 3 broken spokes. Granted, I carry a lot of weight on my bike wheel. I think there may be a dent in the frame from who knows what that is making the spokes lose their tension and either fly off or break.At this point, I don't have the time or money to replace my back wheel, so I am trying to exercise my feeble faith and trust that they will hold out. If they don't, I know there are a lot of repair resources available along the way, but you have to wait for a sag and lose miles and such, so I really don't want that to happen.

I've had more anxiety about this than is normal for me (the spoke issue, I mean). I'm trying to let go of it and just have fun, but I really don't want to break down.

Watch here for entries once we arrive in Rock Valley, Iowa!

No comments: