Monday, July 21, 2014

Day 1: Rough Start -- Rating: BUST

Here it is Monday and this is the first opportunity I have had to get onto a computer to make an entry! I am at Iowa Lakes Community College in Emmetsburg, Iowa. They have opened up everything to use in this building.

Today's ride was about 42 miles, a short day. It was also a much better day for me. Sunday was not my best experience on a bike. I slept really poorly Saturday night. I think I woke up every hour on the hour. Just when I was settling down at about 10 or 10:30, they started a fireworks display that felt like it went on for an hour! Not easy to sleep when you have BOOM, BOOM, every 10 seconds.

Combine the lack of sleep with worries about my rear wheel, which proved to be warranted. Maybe 20-30 miles into the ride, I heard a sharp snap and knew something was up. I rolled into the overnight town with a wobble in the wheel and despairing. As soon as we could get settled, I went off on my bike to see about maybe getting a new wheel. I'd given up on replacing spokes, since I'd now had 4 break in a few months' time.

About a 1/4 mile from the tents, I came upon a shop set up on a corner all by itself. I have to tell you, the repairman, Dave, who was there with his son, was sent by God himself, I'm convinced. It was called Connecticut Yankee repairs. The guy was laid back, funny, and capable. I ended up getting a new wheel, albeit more than I wanted to spend. But now I have peace of mind and today the wheel was magnificent. I didn't realize how much that was bothering me.

Yesterday was also hard because food was not agreeing with me. I was getting fatigued and didn't know why. Even though I drank water, I think I may have been dehydrating.

There were times yesterday when I thought I wasn't going to be able to keep going. I couldn't imagine how much else could go wrong. However, I guess you keep going. I made some adjustments, got the new wheel, abandoned my cot, which was severely sagging, and slept on the ground on a sleeping bag. A shower and a good meal helped me feel a lot better. I slept really well in a very quiet campground, and today went much better.

At breakfast this morning, a guy came up to me and asked me if I lived in the Geneva area. Then he asked if I went to First Baptist and if I led worship on the stage. He had me nailed. We met Kurt and his brother Kevin and ate pancakes and sausage with them. By the way, pancakes will NOT be on my list for breakfast tomorrow. They expand!

Today was shorter mileage, but it was hot. I drank water like a fish. I think I went through my two bottles at least three times, counting on full bottle of gatorade.

I am a little encouraged, after thinking yesterday that I would never do Ragbrai ever again. Maybe there's still hope. However, it has become MUCH more expensive than when I did it 6 years ago! Every stop charges $5 or 6 for showers! The running joke between Mark and I is that everything costs $5. Do you want public water from a hose? $5 (actually that's not true, just for effect).

Well, I need to get some food into me, and it is right next door. I think the crowd is getting bigger. I'll probably have to stand in line. Again. Lines everywhere.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Praying for you! Hope everything settles down and you can enjoy your ride :-)