Tuesday, July 15, 2008

4 days, 16 hours, 51 minutes, and 40 seconds left

I began to think today, with 4 days to go, that much of my training and the executing of this event has direct spiritual allusions. I came across this verse today:

Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
- 1 Corinthians 9:25-27

It reminds me that I need to have as strict a training in my relationship to God as I have been doing with my bicycle, which will not last. I've also "beat my body" in a literal sense getting ready to ride 471 miles in 7 days. But I could do more with my spiritual body.

As to practicalities, I am physically ready for the ride. I've been having some dull headaches the last few days which make me worry about catching a summer cold. But I think they may also be telling me that I need to taper down my workouts. I've been working quite hard, going over 200 miles a week. I'm trying to go to bed earlier than normal this week.

I have put together most of my supplies and equipment that I'll be taking along. Inevitably there'll be some key item that I won't take along that will prove crucial, and certainly several things that I think right now I can't do without that I'll never touch. Fortunately there are targets/wal-marts along the way in the larger towns.

If you happen to be following my blog, I may not write again until after the ride begins on Sunday. I'm very excited and can't wait to begin!

No comments: