Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Day 4 On the Other Side

I am in a place that seems to be called Tama-Toledo. I think it might be two towns, but used as one name. Whatever. Maybe it's like Minneapolis-St. Paul.

Anyway, today was a long ride. The temperature stayed pretty fair all day, but there was a steadily increasing headwind. My other Wheaton College bike tourist, Karen, told me that she would take killer hills any day to not have to deal with strong and/or headwinds. I heartily agree. But lucky for me, we had both today, headwinds AND hills. Then I got into this 2 town place, and it was as if someone stole all the little orange signs with arrows on them that we have been using to tell us where to go for 4 days now. I rode an extra 4 miles looking for the campground. I admit, I kind of lost my cool. There might be a few people along the way that if I could find them, I should ask forgiveness. :(

I neglected sun block today, because it seemed cool. But the sun was out all day. I must be developing leather skin, because I really didn't burn too much. Of course, I haven't seen my face.

Do you remember in the Bible way back in the Garden of Eden when Eve then Adam ate the fruit from the forbidden tree? I believe the tree was called the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. I thought of this today. When they ate, they realized what evil was. They gained a propensity to do what was wrong before God. But they also became aware of what was good to do.

Because there are so many people here, I can see trends. Despite that fact that we are all sinful and need redemption--just a plain fact--most people try to do what is good. The majority of people on this ride are kind and considerate. There are a few jerks here and there that care for nothing but themselves. But the ones trying to do good outweigh those idiots. Just kinda interesting.

Well, I was fortunate the Internet trailer was close to my tent. And, there's food close by, too. And, I bought a book yesterday, so I have something to read! I'm in the lap of luxury. I need to rest. Tomorrow could be just like today, throwing in a possible thunderstorm and more hills than today. Isn't that just lovely?

As a friend of mine would say, "It'll be great!" I hope so.

No comments: