Monday, July 21, 2008

Day 2, Part II

Okay, so they weren't kidding! Today was the longest day, and certainly the toughest yet, though it's only day 2. Total we climbed (clumb?) over 5,200 feet, nearly a mile. Tomorrow's ride to Ames is just over 1,000, much better. And the mileage tomorrow is a paltry 56, compared to today's 83. Course now I've made 3 trips into the downtown area of Jefferson, so I'm over 91 for the day.

I mentioned yesterday my "method" of hill climbing that was working well. Well, it probably saved me today, and I did it repeatedly. On the downhills, I would tuck and coast, sometimes up to 36 mph, then immediately start climbing. I kept going from 6th gear for downhill to 1st gear for climbing. My poor little 23 year old derailleur (it's the thing that changes gears for you) really got a workout!

I made it into the campground, which is on the grounds of a high school, at about 1:30pm, dead tired. There were times in the last 15 miles or so that I wondered if I could make it. But then I got in, lugged my 60 pound bag to a nice shady spot under a tree, and pushed my tired body to get my tent set up. The high school had their lockeroom shower facility open for $4, but it was WELL worth it. A shower and shave later, I felt rejuvenated, like maybe I can actually keep going!

I wouldn't say this was the hardest ride I've done (today's, that is), but it's close. My century ride June 15 was probably the hardest. I'm tired but pleased.

I keep reflecting on the tent villages that spring up all over the place. Even residents' yards are full of tents. Even though many of these people may not be there, it makes me think a little of what heaven could be like someday. There's a comraderie because of our common interest that you seldom get. It's maybe just a glimpse of what sort of community we'll get when we leave this place.

I thought I'd get pictures up, but these little laptops in the Iowa Telecom truck won't allow it. Tomorrow I ride into Ames, where I worked at Iowa State Univ for 6 years before going to Wheaton College. It'll be fun for it to be so familiar. I'm going to stop at the place I worked and visit a couple ofpeople that are still there. Then, I don't have to camp! My family has been staying just North of Ames, where we lived, and they are coming down to "rescue" me from my survivor existence, at least for an evening. I'll look forward to a real bed, a pool, and some familiar people (the fam). I'd like to convince one or more of my children to do this with me someday. They aren't as fanatical about biking as me. Who is? Well, there's about 20,000 other fanatics out here this week.

I haven't really talked to too many people. I've reverted to my normal keep-to-myself personality in new situations. I'd like to get out of that, but that is what recharges my mental batteries, and it's hard to get out of it.

I wasgoing to comment on two cities Iwent (darn space bar!) through today. One was Exira, and it was a very pleasant stop. I was there at about 7:30, and wanted a chicken sandwich. My eating habits are so skewed! I eat anything at all times of day. Anyway, they kept kidding me abouthaving to wait on the chicken. It reminded of the atmosphere I grew up in, in Muscatine, Iowa. Good natured teasing. But it was a very nicetown. Oh, I hadsome cherry pie! It was wonderful.

Then later I came into Coon Rapids, at the end of the rollercoaster hills. I didn't enjoy this one as much. As we drove in, they draped beads on us, New Orleans-style. They had a loudspeaker that was blaring music. There was a hippie-style tie die booth that made me laugh (and I almost bought something), and there was an Elvis impersonator singing his heart out. It was like they couldn't decide on a theme, so they threw in a little of everything. On top of being turned off by the glitz, I think I ate a half-done bratworst. I didn't get sick, but it didn't like me much, either.

The Ragbrai pass through towns sort of compete with each other, each one trying to blitz you with what they are like. They each have a little newspaper devoted to their town, and they all want you to come live there. It's a big problem in Iowa that kids grow up, even go to college in Iowa, then move away to raise families. They are desparate for people to settle here. No worries, though, Idon't think I'll be going back. I like Illinois.

Okay, I'd better go. I'm hoping to connectwith a guy I knew in Ames that also worked (and works) at ISU. I called him after I finished, and he was riding (it's not recommended to talk on cells while riding). I haven't heard from himyet. It would be nice to have someone here that I know. I love the riding and the adventure, but it would be good to have someone to share it with.

I'll be back tomorrow!

No comments: