Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Day 4, Even more

I've had an entire afternoon and evening to reflect on things. I've learned some new words for my cycling vocabulary. See if you can tell what these words mean before my explanation.

RUMBLES
No, it's not my stomach after downing a bratwurst. It is actually the rumbles strips that they put on country roads so that when cars go over them, they are warned that a stop sign is coming. Maybe some of you city folk reading haven't heard of them. They are similar to a washboard with vertical grooves. They are particularly nasty to a bike. They threaten to shake your teeth out. Bikers call these out and you put your arm out and bob your hand up and down. Now you know.

G2
Some of you may know this one. I have become a conniseur of Gatorade-type drinks. My favorite is still fruit punch Powerade, but I've tried many. G2 is just a strain of Gatorade. I think of it as highly sweetened gatorade, made for those people, like me, that always thinks Gatorade is too sour. I also had berry Gatorade Rain.

VIRGIN
Okay, you may think you know what this means. But consider the context here. A few people had this written vertically on their calves. It simply means that this is their first Ragbrai. So, technically, I would be one.

I think they are shutting the computers down, so I have to go. I do want to write about solitude and my time this evening watching a bird sing. It was refreshing.

No comments: