Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day 3 - Breeze

Today was a breeze, both figuratively and literally. And God answered my prayer for sleep at last. I slept quite well after the monstrous day of climbing. I think that I'm finally figuring out how to arrange my limbs on this cot I'm sleeping on so that I can actually sleep.

I had a very relaxing evening, and I have to say that I have NEVER been more thankful for a hot shower! Where I pitched my tent was in the front lawn of a high school, and they had their shower facilities open. So that combined with a great night's sleep got this morning off well.

Typical of me, I woke up at 4:50 a.m., and my alarm was set to 5. That always happens. But I'm getting good at this routine. I had my tent and bag packed up and on the semi truck trailer and was pedaling away by 5:36 a.m. It's still dark then. I had thought of bringing my light, but didn't think I'd need it.

This morning was gorgeous! It was crisp and cool, not a cloud in the sky, and I got to watch the sunrise over the sodden corn fields. By the way, today was the first evidence I saw of the incredible rains Iowa has had. There were a lot of lakes in the fields. I'm sure that the farmers have lost a lot of crop. But the weather was nearly perfect. There was a headwind, but it was light and not a big deal.

We had probably the longest and possibly the steepest hill so far today, but it was really the only serious hill. We rode down into the Des Moines River valley, coasting at 36 mph, and then began to climb out of the valley (when you go down, you nearly always go up). The river, though still high, was beautiful.

Today was really a breeze. And it was the "old home" trip. Many of the places I went through today I knew from living in Iowa from 2000 to 2006. I stopped in Ogden, where my kids would go for music contests. I stopped in Boone, where we did some things with Awana and a coworker lived. Then I ended up in Ames at Iowa State University, where I worked during those 6 years. I stopped in and saw some of my old coworkers for a short visit.

The 58 mile trip today ended with me sailing into Ames at 10 a.m.! And really I had no aches and pains from yesterday's Six Flags imitation. So I called Sharon and she came down from Story City, where they've been staying, to pick me up. Right now I'm using the computer at the hotel where they've been. I'll be stepping into the whirlpool, which is just feet away, after I finish this entry. Jealous? It's going to feel great! I may even do some laundry! Ah, the things that we take for granted!

This really has been a fantastic experience for me. Maybe some of you would not consider riding nearly 500 miles on a bike and camping out every night your idea of fun. But I have tapped into an adventurer inside of me that is finding contentment. Who knows what might be next? Oh, I shouldn't say that, my wife is keeping up with my blog! She's probably rolling her eyes right now!

This computer has a USB port, so I might get some pictures on here later. No promises (as if there are hundreds of people refreshing their screens, waiting on me--yeah right). Tomorrow is a 77 mile ride, so back to some serious mileage. But the hills have abated, at least until the end of the week and the approach of the Mississippi valley.

By all means, no matter what you've heard, IOWA IS NOT FLAT!! Oh yeah, I said that already, didn't I?

No comments: