Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day One

I really wondered how it was going to go. I was very anxious to just get going, enough so that I didn't sleep very well the night before. However, I into Harlan at about 11:00 a.m.!! It was admittedly a "shorter" ride today, only 57 miles. Tomorrow will be the real challenge as it will be about 83.

I could not believe the feeling as I pulled out of Missouri Valley at about 6:45. I joined up with the main vein of riders and was absorbed into it like a raindrop in a river. Everyone was yelling out "bike up" or "on your left." They were really cordial, but that politeness would fade as the day went on.

I kept going through towns where they were serving heavy, greasy foods at like 9 in the morning! I was not ready to eat that kindof stuff then. I munched on my peanuts and stuff and kept going. Before I had left for the ride, I had read of a new way to climb hills that really benefitted me today. Downshift real low, scoot back on the seat and pedal with the center of your foot. Oh, and put your hands in the middle. I scooted right by all these people that were standingin the seat to power their way up the hills. It was great! Well, not for them.

I saw all manner of bikes. This ride can certainly teach you about diversity! I saw recumbent bikes galore, and even a part-recumbent, part-regular road bike, connected together! And I saw a 5 person tandem. Five people on one bike! That was cool.

I didn't really talk to anyone. I saw one guy from Colorado Springs and told him Iused to live there. Forgive me if I miss spaces in my typing. I'm on a laptop in an Iowa Telecom van, and the space bar is tiny.

I saw two crashes today and heard two ambulances. One young girl turned sharp left to get off the road and a guy t-boned her. The other was right next to me. I saw it coming. A guy passed another way too close, and clipped him. Theclippee lost balance for just a moment and he went down on his left shoulder. He layed on the ground forquite some time. I didn't stay because it was just behind me and a bunch of people instantly stopped.

That's one thing about this ride. Everyone, for the most part, is very nice and helpful. It is almost like they can't help but be like the small town Iowans while they are here, even though I saw a ton of people from all over theUnited States. That's kind of nice to see. It's a contrast from the Chicago suburbs, I'm sorry to say.

I pitched my tent after sorting through about 5000 bags, 80% of which were the same color as mine, black. That actually went well. I was worried about getting the tent up but it was good. Mine is one among a village of tents. I'm on a fairground and it is filled with tents, RVs and popups. I bet it is larger than the town in Iowa I used to live in, Roland (pop. 1364).

It was quite hot and humid, but there was cloud cover today, for which I thanked my God. It even sprinkled a couple of times, which was welcome. Before the ride started, they had said it was going to be 90s and humid all week. Fluids become extremely important, and about $1 for a small bottle. Prices are a little high for what you get, but some of them give you discounts.

You feel a little like royalty since there are so many services for riders. This little green wristband I have has real power around here!

I think I'm going to go to a church service, actually, tonight at the fairgrounds. The church also serves a spaghetti dinner which will be good. Then I'll put plugs in my ears and go to bed early. I'm feeling good and ready for another day of riding. I took some pictures today, but I probably won't get them up on here yet. Maybe later.

Thanks for reading. Things are going well, and I'm having the time of my life! God is good and His creation is beautiful.

No comments: