Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Day 4

I came across a couple of 8 foot long tables covered with laptops, outside! So I'm sitting here with a nice breeze gazing at the Albion, Iowa water tower just to my left, and some riders strolling by.

It was good to be in a hotel last night. I was in the whirlpool and even did some laundry (yes, I am a man, and I fold clothes). I felt positively civilized! We went out to eat at Fazzoli's (fast food Italian) with some friends from when we lived in Central Iowa. It was a nice evening.

I awoke, however, at 1:30 in the morning with a blazing headache, and fumbled around for my Motrin. I don't think I had drank enough water, plus my pillow was too soft. Don't you love hearing all of these little details of my life?

Today is a gorgeous weather day. The wind is from the East, so in our faces, and stronger today than it has been. But it is sunny and cool; you can't ask for much more.

I experienced something new and awesome today -- PACELINES! You really aren't supposed to do them on Ragbrai, or at least they discouraged. For the novitiates among you, a paceline is a single file line of bikes that match the pace of the first biker. They tend to go very fast because of the windsheer that takes place. I rode at the back of one for about 5 miles, likely averaging 18-20 mph. I found yet another reason to love cycling (like I need more)!

I am at the halfway point of today's ride, about 39 miles out of 78. I'll probably write some more this evening in Tama/Toledo.

1 comment:

Elisa said...

HI Craig!
Hey, I watched some video footage on www.kcci.com. Those hills are NO JOKE! Hope you're feeling ok today, and haven't hit any tacks!!
Elisa